Oct 2, 2012

K-fail: Chuseok Edition

This is the next installment in a series called "K-Fails", in which Meg does something dumb because she can't speak Korean.

This week's K-fail comes as our heroine tries to embrace Korean culture on the harvest holiday of Chuseok.

Sunday was Chuseok, also known as Korean Thanksgiving. As a result, I got a five day weekend, and subsequently my first paid time off in the history of EVER.

One of the myriad activities I undertook during my free time was a visit to a Hanok traditional village. It's always open to walk around, but on the weekends and special holidays (like Chuseok), you can do crafts! You can make masks, paint fans, and assemble kites, among other things. I got there just before 5 with my friends, and we pondered for a while which craft to make. After much deliberation, we decided to go for the kites. We walked up to the ticket stand, only to be ignored. We stood there in a daze for a moment. Then, I heard a small voice behind me. "Excuse me, it's finished today." I turned around, looked down, and there was a young girl dressed in traditional clothing, explaining to me in flawless, unaccented English that the crafts were done for the day.

Even an 8 year old could tell I had no idea what was going on.

K fail.


P.S. This 8 year old turned out to be one of the most precocious little girls I have ever met. More on her later.


No comments:

Post a Comment